Gifted & Talented Secondary Selective Entrance Program
Our Gifted and Talented Secondary Selective Entrance Program at Kelmscott Senior High School provides like-minded children with a stimulating and challenging learning environment designed to cater for their academic and social needs. With specialist academic programs in Science, Mathematics, English and Humanities and Social Science, children are encouraged to excel in their areas of academic talent and develop their love of learning. The Gifted and Talented Program at Kelmscott Senior High School is a holistic program that supports learners though their six years of secondary education and provides a challenging curriculum designed to bring out the very best in students.
The Department of Education provides additional resources for this program to fund small class sizes, specialist education equipment and a range of subsidised excursions and competition entries.
The Mathematics and Science Gifted and Talented program accelerates and enriches students with a progressive education ultimately aimed at Year 12 achievement. The Humanities program has exciting activities in English Language, Literature, History, Politics and Geography.
- Thinking Skills: How your brain works
- Relationships with Universities eg Murdoch University Biotechnology and Curtin University Engineering
- Science & Mathematics Extension programs
- Literature: creative analysis; Young Writers’ Awards; Perth Writers’ Festival
- Competition involvement: Science Talent Search, National History Challenge, Rio Tinto Science Competition, Solar Car Competition, Robotics, ASX Stockmarket game, Sumfun, Westpac Mathematics Competition, National Science, Computing and Geography competitions.
- Opportunity for interstate and overseas travel as Gifted and Talented students
HOW TO APPLY
Testing is held in Year 6 for entrance into the program in Year 7. Limited places may also be available for children going into Years 8, 9 and 10. You can apply for this program no matter where you live in Western Australia and, if selected, your child is guaranteed a place at Kelmscott Senior High School.
General information regarding the program should be directed to Jo Perry, the School’s Gifted and Talented Coordinator on 9495 7413.
For more detailed information and to apply online: